Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Cheating


I've been having some really negative thoughts lately. Although Riesling wasn't a dressage horse when I first started with the discipline a few years back, he was taught some basics before I bought him. However, Merlot is truely the greenest horse I've owned that I want to develop with my new knowledge of riding.

And hes so fun and so sweet. But I can't help but feeling disappointed and pondering short cuts. I don't take them, because I've ridden a handful of horses that were trained innocrectly and with gadgets and its incredibly frustrating. 


I keep trying to think of the positive and how lucky I am to have a horse with a nearly clean slate. He doesn't have baggage or really any training that I need to "undo". But its incredibly hard. I know what I want and how I want it to feel, and getting there seems impossible. 


Rome wasn't built in a day. Nor has any horses' proper education. I keep reminding myself the more I chip away slowly and diligently towards the right direction, the better horse he is going to be. Eventually, I hope to look back and laugh that my current struggle of getting him connected into the bridle seems so impossible. I know my trainers and know myself as a rider and just need to trust the process. 

4 comments:

  1. Oh man... I feel ya!
    I have a 4 year old greenbroke mare and sometimes I am just like "I WISH THIS WAS FASTER". But each ride we put on them is progress, regardless of their drunken llama impressions :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It takes so much time to develop a finished horse. And are they ever truly "finished?!" Hang in there and try to enjoy the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He looks so dark and shiny. It's tough when you want to do more, but the journey is part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'll be happier in the end by going the long route!

    ReplyDelete