Thursday, August 3, 2017

Getting my sea legs


My final for my last summer class is tomorrow! Wohoo! Anywho, something neat I've been up to is taking jumping lessons again!

Back in May I won a three lesson package as part of a silent auction. Finally this month I was able to put them to use! Because I haven't jumped in so long I wanted to ride some lesson ponies to get started. 



I fail at media but I've had two lessons thus far and have ridden a super kick-ride appy lesson pony. The first lesson was with a rider and her 9 month of the track, 4 year old tb. 

Now I'm obviously a rising olympic show jumping star and jumping a whopping 2' in these lessons. But I seriously have no lady balls and as I need more confidence this is the height that works for me. 



First lesson went really well and the thing I need to work on most is keeping a flat back and engaging my core. 

The second lesson I had just a few days ago and I was in a group lesson with some kids. The flatting was rough as we were trotting at the two-point. My thighs were burning so quick. We worked on jumping S curves and I was doing mostly ok at this. 



However, in the 100+ degree heat and some mild humidity; I was so tired toward the end of the lesson I was getting sloppy. My last course I couldn't stay straight and keep my lesson pony forward enough. We were getting burried to the fence and throwing in some super ugly chips. 

I was pushing myself super hard trying to keep going. After the last fence my trainer told me to keep going and do it again. Now I should have asked for a quick walk break to catch my breath, but bucked up instead. We made it over the first crossrail fine (because crossrail) but were so underpowered. At the next 18" cavaletti poor pony had to deerhop over the fence because I sucked at riding and I totally leaned. I was popped out of the tack and because I was leaning managed to fall off on the landing side of the fence.



Ouch, bruised ego. I got back on and saintly lesson pony managed to carry me over the line and it was called a day. I have a lot more stamina to improve upon but it was overall a good learning experience. 

One more lesson left, then I have to figure out how to scrape together my pennies so I can stay in the program! 

3 comments: